Version 3.1.8 was released on 18th January 2010. This version has some bug fixes and some minor enhancements:
- A “flattened” mode was added for the sidebars. Instead of the traditional “boxed” layout you can opt for a flat look. Take a look at “Sidebars and Widget Areas” in “Visual Effects”
- Did some CSS optimization and removed a lot of CSS code from individual color schemes. This should make the pages load faster
- Some people were facing issues with one of the widgets included in version 3.1.6 (the “Follow Me” widget). The problem had more to do with uncooperative and paranoid hosts. I had initially refused to address this because it is not a problem with the theme and moreover the hosts banking on this feature (the PHP “safe mode”) are using something from PHP 4, which has been deprecated in PHP 5 and will be altogether removed in PHP 6. Eventually I relented and provided a patch. I don’t understand the fascination that some hosts have with outdated software, though – it is incredibly restrictive and serves absolutely no purpose other than supporting some arcane applications. See this thread for details.
- There was a bug in IE 7 where the “Edit” icon was showing up on singular views, or single pages and posts. I have fixed this.
- There is now a new Brazilian Portuguese translation! Thanks to Paulo Cesar for the same.
As I write this I am working on version 3.1.9, which will provide a bunch of author-related short codes. This will help you build an “author info” section for each post / page, which is something I am providing capabilities for, too!