It has been brought to my attention that an old problem with corrupted download files from the WP site has cropped up again. If you are seeing a message saying that the “Theme is broken” or if you get a “white screen of death” upon activating the theme, follow the instructions here.
Version 3.6.5 of Suffusion went live today. Actually first 3.6.4 went live, then some users pointed out a rather serious flaw, then I immediately patched it. The theme approvers, who have really improved their approval process a few notches up approved it rather quickly too. The following are a part of this release:
- New Features:
One of the key focus areas of this release was server load reduction. The overall list of additions is as follows:
- There is an option to not include the generated CSS code in your page header. Instead the CSS gets written to a file and that file is linked in the page. This is good news for SEO. The bad news is that it needs some tweaks and some trial and error to get to work properly, like changing of the .htaccess file, or making use of Suffusion’s internal compression techniques etc. You can try enabling the option from Blog Features → Site Optimization → Auto-generate CSS file for customization options.
- In addition now all the options can be cached in the database. Earlier I was storing only the saved options in the database and leaving aside the default options. The downside of the older approach was that as my options page got massive, the memory footprint of the front-end pages started increasing. This will reduce memory footprint by at least 2MB – a significant reduction. You can control the settings here: Blog Features → Site Optimization → Cache dynamic options.
- Judging by the massive outrage on the support forum due to a change in the featured content behavior, I have added an option to let you include duplicate content from the featured content section on your main page as well. Control the settings from Blog Features → Featured Content.
- I have added options to include posts by post id or by tag in the featured content. Control the settings from Blog Features → Featured Content.
- I have also enhanced the Search results page to show the search term at the top. Additionally now there is a search form included on the search results page, along with an ability to highlight the matches.
- A user on the WP forum pointed out that if your posts were in multiple pages (in an archive view), subsequent pages didn’t show the page number in the title. I have addressed this. The page number is now appended to the title if you are on the second page or higher. Additionally the blog sub-title is a part of the page title on the home page or on the front page.
- I have added “nonce” checks to the admin pages to ensure better security.
- There is a new Turkish translation, thanks to Metin Selçuk.
- Bug Fixes:
- If you were using Suffusion’s inbuilt compression techniques, the page would fail XHTML validation. I thought that I had fixed it last time, however that was not the case. It is now truly fixed, I hope!
- In case of archive views with no posts (e.g. nothing found in the search results page) there was no content displayed. This has been fixed.
- While working at a furious pace to support some of the review criteria at WP I had broken backwards compatibility for menus. If you were on a WP version older than 2.9 you would have seen a fatal error. I have rectified this. Of all the bugs I have had to fix, I am sorry about this one most, because I am normally very good with backwards compatibility.
- There was another backwards-compatibility issue, but this time with PHP. There was a call to
memory_get_usage, which is not available in really old versions of PHP (< 4.3.2) and is available with partial support in other versions of PHP. I have fixed this too.
- I have fixed a bug that was preventing child theme CSS from loading correctly. Note that if you have Suffusion’s GZIP compression disabled, child themes need to have all stylesheets explicitly invoked. In other words, not only the base style.css, but all the skin-specific CSS files have to be added.
- There was a bug introduced in the comments section, where a CSS element was being declared twice. I have fixed this issue.
- Again, there are minor stylesheet tweaks to the Minima skin
- As a part of some code housekeeping I have enqueued the stylesheets for the admin pages.
- I have also replaced the call to
get_bloginfo('name')in the header with
get_bloginfo('name', 'display')so that plugins that apply filters to the blog title work in tandem with the theme.
- I have restyled the
blockquoteelement so that it looks a bit better.
- There are updates to the German (Du and Sie), Norwegian, Swedish, Dutch, Danish, Polish and French translations. Thanks, translators!
On a side note, I have closed the “Feature Requests” section of the support forum. As the theme grows in complexity and popularity, the support forum has been swirling out of control and I had to draw the line somewhere. Since the Feature Requests section saw a lot of traffic and a lot of requests for features that I simply am not in a position to provide, I have closed off that section of the forum.