Over the past several weeks I have been finding it very difficult to provide support for Suffusion. It is becoming increasingly difficult for me to keep up with my day job, theme development, support and most importantly, my life.
With immediate effect I am formally announcing a reduction in the support I provide for the theme. For folks familiar with the forums, there are 3 categories where you can post topics at present: Bug Reports, Support Requests and Translations. From now on, I will only respond to questions where I believe my explicit inputs are required, like a genuine bug report, or some specific support topics.
All questions of the following sort will be generally ignored by me (others might choose to offer solutions, though, and I might occasionally respond to such queries):
- How to integrate plugin X with the theme (which file to edit etc.).
- Most questions regarding why your layout is broken. I say “most” because there are times when the layout being broken is truly because of a bug, but in 90% of the cases it is due to a user putting in improper HTML.
- Any question on adding support for a feature will be ignored. For example, allowing Flash-based headers, ability to load images through the theme options etc.
- Questions asking “What will happen if I upgrade the theme? Will I lose my changes?” This question has been answered literally hundreds of times at several places.
- Sending me a PM asking for a solution will be ignored. And sending me an email asking for a solution will be ignored too. The forum exists so that people can share information, so sending me a PM or email defeats the purpose of the forum. As things stand today I anyway redirect users to post on the forum if they send me a PM or email, so it is not like you will lose out on any support by this official announcement.
The forum has had several thousand posts in the last one year and a lot of questions have been answered there. But what had been originally set up as a means to genuinely help people out has now become a free-for-all, with a lot of people rushing in to cut corners on development costs by piling on the free support offered here. I am finally taking a stand here – if you need a complex requirement for your site, please hire a developer and get him/her to customize the theme for you.
What you can do to speed up things on your side are the following:
- I encourage searching the forum and finding things out for yourself. As mentioned, several thousand posts exist in the forum and a very high likelihood exists that something has been answered.
- The software is released as open-source for a reason: so that you can read and modify source code if you really need to do something not offered by the theme.
- Without a trace of hubris I will state that the theme is extremely customizable, more than several premium themes. In addition, for people happy about writing code it offers you full support for child themes. Both of these combined let you customize the theme as per your will. Make use of these facts – they will make life a lot easier for you.
At this point I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to Connie, Dark_Fox28, Colin and other folks who have been tirelessly volunteering with support issues. If I do happen to meet any of you, lunch/dinner is on me.
I will continue to publish tutorials every now and then on how to maximize your output with Suffusion, and I will continue to put out new releases (albeit at a much slower pace), but please don’t expect anything more than that from me. It is quite depressing to receive 60+ support requests when you are on vacation for 2 days, when you know that you are already handing out software for free that would have taken people thousands of dollars to develop.