After what seems like ages, here is a new version of Suffusion. As already mentioned, this has been a very very code-intensive release because of the nature of the changes.
These are the main changes in this release:
- New Features
The following were added in this release:
- Fluid Width – By far the biggest change in Suffusion since the inclusion of options in the very second release. This change required me to overhaul the HTML structure of the theme and always put the content before the sidebars, then do massive amounts of testing. While I put in every bit of effort required to get this working as per expectations, if you find something that is not working as you expect, please let me know. I will be very happy to fix it.
- Improved Menus – In any other release this would have been the prima donna. But as it stands, this has been relegated to second position. Now you have even better control of your navigation menus, in terms of the number of options you can pick from:
- Include all, ignoring next option
- Include selections from the next option
- Exclude all, ignoring next option (New)
- Exclude selections from the next option (New)
The new options can be better understood in context of some major code reengineering. Earlier I had a very comprehensive menu-building code, that worked very intuitively. This behavior was different from WP’s default behavior. However the old code created an insane number of queries, particularly if your menu was big.
In this release I have removed all my self-created code and resorted to using WP’s inbuilt functions –
wp_nav_menu. his significantly reduces the number of queries and the load on your server.
As a tip, if you want to completely remove pages/categories/links from your menu, use the “Exclude all, ignoring next option” setting instead of “Include selections from the next option”. This is much more optimal in terms of code.
- You can now get rid of the HTML title that shows up when you hover over your navigation menu. Visit Blog Features → Main Navigation Bar Setup → “Title” attribute upon hovering over navigation bar.
- There was no styling available for the HTML elements
fieldset. CSS declarations have been added for them.
- Removed Features
The following features have been removed:
- I have removed the “rolled-up” setting for WP 3.0 menus as it is redundant. If you want to create a rolled-up menu you can automatically create a base node in the menu and add the rest of your menu under it.
- I have also removed the option to not use
body_classWP function to generate classes for your body. This removal was essential because the
body_classfunction is essential to the style setup for the theme.
- Bug Fixes
The following bugs were fixed:
- A fix has been included for a severe bug that was causing page templates to max out at a width of 600px. The bug was caused by incorrectly applying filters to the sidebars and templates.
- The following navigation menu-related bugs have been fixed:
- Selected navigation bar items (Pages, Categories and WP 3.0 menus) were not getting highlighted in the Minima skin.
- Selected navigation bar items for WP 3.0 menus were not getting highlighted across any skin.
- The values set for highlighting in Visual Effects → Theme Skinning were not being accurately reflected.
- The following BuddyPress-related bugs have been fixed:
- In various BP screens, if something was selected from a drop-down list (like filters, or sort criteria), nothing was happening. The correct AJAX calls for this have been included.
- The Create Profile and Edit Profile pages in BP were not rendering properly. This has been fixed.
- Messages in the inbox etc. were not being styled properly. This has been addressed.
- There was a bug in the List Layout style, which was offsetting the posts by 1 if all posts were not being displayed. In other words, the top post was not being displayed, and if there were N+1 posts in all and each page was to display N posts, the second page was showing an error. This has been rectified.
- Links in featured content were not getting the right color. Again, this has been fixed.
- There was an error in the
charsetsyntax in header.php, style.php and rounded-corners.php. This wasn’t impacting anything as such, but it has been rectified nonetheless.
- In the options pages if you put in 0 as a value for some dimensions it wasn’t being read correctly. I have changed the code to handle this.
- The comments section has been revamped to look better and to facilitate better styling. There is now a custom callback function invoked from there.
- As per the theme review guidelines I had to change the credit link at the bottom. It now just links to the Suffusion home page and not my home page.
- Somewhat whimsically I have changed the default font from Arial to Trebuchet. You can however switch back to Trebuchet if you want, from the Visual Effects → Body Font Customization options.
- You now will not see any version tag appended to JS files included by the theme.
- The Spanish and French translations have been updated. Thanks to David for his modifications of the French translation!
I will soon update the Suffusion BP Pack so that you can make use of the new changes to the core theme. I will keep you posted.