Before I begin about this release, I would first like to apologize to all people whose layouts broke due to the last release. As it turns out I had not tested certain configurations involving the static Tabbed Sidebar, which resulted in all people using this feature having their sites become train-wrecks. Disabling the Tabbed Sidebar would have fixed the issue for all affected people, but there was no way you as a user could have known that.
Anyway, this release is a bug-fix release and there are no new features. Here are the fixes:
- Layout bugs
- The biggest issue – wonky layouts upon activation of the Tabbed Sidebar – has been fixed. There is one exception – if you are using IE6 (yes, that fossil) and you have the Tabbed Sidebar on and your Tabbed Sidebar is on the left side and you have at least one sidebar on the left site, then your left sidebar will render incorrectly on IE6 (only on IE6). I spent some time trying to figure this out, but gave up because I had to get this release out early and this particular combination has an extremely low probability of occurring. Otherwise I have hopefully resolved all issues on all browsers regarding this mishap.
- The Widget Area Below Header was not spanning the full width of the wrapper and was showing a blank space on the side.
- The Widget Area Above Footer was overlapping the right sidebar if the sidebar was longer than the content.
- The No Sidebars template was showing up with empty space on the side.
- In the “Tiles” layout excerpt images were becoming very tiny because the widths were computing incorrectly.
- If you had defined more than one WP 3.0 Menu, each menu item was getting repeated multiple times in the navigation bar. This has been fixed too.
- There was a bug that was preventing the post footer from appearing in the archive view (front page, category, date archive, tag etc). So if you had Tags or “Posted By” at the bottom of a post, that wasn’t being displayed. This now works.
- There was a very old bug where the excerpt title in the “Tiles” layout where the header of excerpts wasn’t reading the alignment setting correctly. Instead it was borrowing the alignment of Magazine excerpts.
One point I would like to highlight – often when you upgrade your theme it apparently breaks your layout, while in truth there is nothing wrong with it. In such cases try out a few very simple things. First and foremost, clean out your browser’s cache and reload your page. Second, if you have a caching plugin make sure that you rebuild its cache, otherwise it will serve content that is not current.
- At some point in the last 3 releases the Google Translator widget stopped working. I have no idea why, since I haven’t changed anything there. If you were looking for this feature to work I encourage you to look for some free plugin to help you there.
- At some point in the last few months the Fade / delay effect on the navigation menu stopped working. Again, I have no idea why. Since this is a very low impact issue I didn’t spend an excruciating amount of time trying to resolve this.
Another aspect I wanted to highlight was regarding my comment in my previous post, about “Rolled up menus”. A few users had difficulty understanding the concept, so I thought I will explain it here. To create a new dummy node:
- Go to Appearance → Menus and open up your menu.
- Create a new menu item using a Custom Link.
- For the URL specify #. Make sure you delete the “http://” that sits there by default
- For the Label put in whatever you want to name your root node.
- Add to Menu
- Once added, move this item to the top of the list.
- Now, indent every other item under this top item. This way each other node is a child of your newly created root. Remember to indent – this is important.
- That’s it. Since you have set the URL to be “#” Suffusion knows that it shouldn’t open any page for it. All other items are listed as children of this new node.
That’s it for this release. I am hoping this will smooth over the rough edges of 3.6.8. I will keep subsequent releases smaller in scope, though, quite frankly I don’t foresee anything being so large in scope.
Over the next few weeks I will focus on building a proper plugin for Suffusion and BP compatibility, assuming that the support queue for 3.6.9 isn’t huge.