Version 3.9.1 of Suffusion got approved today. It has a long list of enhancements, mostly cosmetic, though rather good:
- A couple of minor changes to begin with: the Theme Skinning section in the Options page is now called Skinning, Sidebar Configuration is called Sidebars and Back-end Settings is called Back-end.
- I also renamed the navigation bars to something more appropriate. The Top Navigation Bar is called Navigation Bar Above Header and the Main Navigation Bar is called Navigation Bar Below Header.
- New Features
- The Photonique Skin
This is the biggest feature of this release. Photonique is a new skin, well suited for photo-blogging. You have seen the demo in my previous post. Based on some feedback I have also included a “charcoal” skin that you could use. Note that for this skin you have to use a child theme – I haven’t provided an option to pick it from the skinning section.
This release features some typographic enhancements:
- The section called Body Fonts under Skinning is now called Typography.
- The list of web-safe fonts has been augmented with an impressive list of 35+ fonts from Google Web Fonts.
- You can now change the fonts for the site header, individual post/page headers etc.
- There is also support for drop-caps enabled for the first letter of a paragraph.
- Better Post Formats
I have improved support for the following post formats:
This will display the author’s Avatar adjacent to the status message.
- I have bundled support for the WordPress Audio Player plugin. Under certain circumstances this will display a nice audio player consistently across all browsers (instead of relying on a browser plugin).
- I have added a new short-code called “audio” that can be passed a URL and will show the audio player. This short-code gets activated only if you don’t have an existing JetPack plugin installation and the WP Audio Player is not explicitly installed.
- If you have a post with the Audio post format, Suffusion will scan the post for the “audio” short-code or for audio attachments. The short-code will be shown in its place, but the attachment will be shown in an audio player at the top of the post.
- There is no HTML5 support because the theme doesn’t do HTML5 at the moment.
A post with the Gallery post format will be displayed a lot more nicely in archive views such as the front page. The gallery will be displayed with either the featured image for the post or the first photo in the gallery as the leading image. Then there will be a small panel of thumbnails next to it. You can control the thumbnails (sizes and number) from Other Graphical Elements → Post Formats.
- New Comment Features
Three major changes have come about in the comments:
- You can change how the comment forms look. You earlier had form labels adjacent to the input fields. Now you can also have the form labels inside the input fields. See Back-end → Comment Settings → Comment Form Label Styles.
- You can also change how your comments are displayed. Earlier you had the comment author’s Avatar and information displayed in the same box as the comment. Now you can give more of a “speech bubble” effect. See Back-end → Comment Settings → Comment Styles.
- You can also disable commenting on attachments such as images. Go to Templates → Attachments, then disable comments where you don’t want them. Comments will still be enabled on the back-end and this option simply serves to disable the comment form (WP itself doesn’t offer any other way to disable comments for attachments).
- New Icon Sets
The following are new:
- I have bundled the icons generously offered by StudioPress into a few new icon sets. You can pick the one you want from Skinning → Icon Sets.
- I have also provided two variants of another icon set with post format icons. However this is not integrated into the theme UI yet.
- Navigation Bar Positioning
- The Navigation Bar Below Header can now be positioned at the left, center or the right. See Other Graphical Elements → Navigation Bar Below Header.
- The Navigation Bar Above Header can now be positioned at the center (you were able to position it to the left or right earlier). See Other Graphical Elements → Navigation Bar Above Header.
- New Byline Style
You can now display the byline as a single line above your post or below your post. A byline displayed thus is centered.
- Framework Features
- Posts with no title will get a
no-titleclass assigned to them.
- A new skin-specific setup hook has been added,
- Posts with no title will get a
- Other Cosmetic Additions
- The Mosaic Layout has been made much better looking. In addition I have bundled Fancybox and/or Colorbox support for the Mosaic layout to get a preview before opening the posts.
- For image attachments I have made the EXIF display a lot more appealing. There is now a small button that you click to toggle EXIF.
- I have introduced the capability to center featured image in the slider or to bump up its size in case of small images to fit the slider display.
- The Photonique Skin
- Bug Fixes
The following bugs have been fixed:
- In a very rare combination of settings the Navigation Bar Below Header was floating to the left.
- Navigation bar borders were not getting overridden by the skinning options.
- Date box skinning was not working.
- There was a small bug with the post_class filter – it was not assigning the “full-content” and “excerpt” classes correctly.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that you will enjoy this release. I definitely had fun coding it! I have never made a secret of the fact that UI designing is my weak point. Hopefully Photonique will be a skin that acts as a turning point.